RH vs LH Bows
We get this question quite a bit. It can be confusing for the new archer. So let's walk through it!
- A RH bow is typically needed for a RH archer. And a LH person would normally use a LH bow. Eye dominance really is the key, but more on that later.
- A RH bow is held with the Left hand, and vise versa. Here is why...
- Holding a RH bow with the Left hand allows the stronger Right arm to draw the bow.
- Drawing with the Right arm brings the string back to the Right dominant eye.
- A RH bow has the arrow shelf on the left side. Here is why...
- When shooting off the shelf, the natural cant of the bow in the hand is upper right to lower left, from the RH archer's perspective. With the shelf on the left, it can cradle the arrow when the bow is shot canted.
- With the shelf on the left, should the arrow fall off the shelf, it would only fall to the archers wrist. If the shelf were on the right, the arrow would fall to or toward the ground.